Our Four Legged Friends
Pet, companion, guardian or fur-baby… whatever you call them, we can’t forget about them when it comes to showing your home! Having an animal in the home during showings can have an impact not only on how your home is shown but on the animals themselves. You’d be surprised how different your furry friend acts when there are strangers around and you aren’t!
We’d hate to see Buddy dart out the front door or Fluffy hiding under the bed for a week! We know, it’s unrealistic to rush home during a work day to take them out, so, we find the best solution is to have a loved one care for them for a few days or so to minimize the stress on you both.
With that said, if your pet(s) will be home during showings, please let us know and we will advise agents accordingly.
Here are some friendly reminders for selling a pet-friendly home:
- Be courteous to allergies and fears, particularly large dogs… please crate pets whenever possible if not removing altogether for showing appointments.
- Remove unnecessary evidence of your pets… put away food and bowls when not feeding, toys should be put away or limited to within a crate, dog beds out of sight, etc.
- Remember to keep litter boxes clean and tidy as often as possible.
- During warmer months be sure to keep your yard free of ‘landmines!’
- Pet hair should be vacuumed or swept as often as possible.
- Repair any damage from your pets ahead of listing your home on the market.
- Be conscious that pets can bring an odour… cleaning carpets, mopping floors and even a small bowl of vinegar hidden in the room they occupy the most can help remove smells without masking with heavy scents!
We know it takes a little extra effort, but, try to keep in mind it is all temporary! Once your home is SOLD you and your pets can return to your everyday life.