Okay, so last week we talked ‘House Plants’, and maybe that is just not your thing. However, keep in mind, sometimes what grows out, grows in… and vice versa!
With Spring having arrived, it’s the time when a homeowner’s heart turns to thoughts of landscaping. Landscaping is about more than good looks. Done properly, it can both increase the value of your home and make it sell quicker by adding curb appeal that will make prospective buyers want to see more. But, it can also be a daunting task if it’s a venture you’re undertaking alone. Here are a few helpful hints to get you started:
- Decide on a budget and stick to it!
- Draw and picture of your house and yard. Include storage areas, driveways, walkways patio and existing garden areas. Walk around your property to decide what you want to go where.
- Assess your family’s needs. A family with young children may want to include areas for play, while the retiree with a green thumb may want more gardening area.
- Consider how foliage will look year round. You don’t want something that only looks good for two weeks out of the year. Also, consider group plantings and flowers that bloom at different times, for a visually appealing design that will last the entire season.
- Consult a landscaping professional. They are a wonderful resource as are garden centre staff.
- Remember, you don’t need to do this all in one year. Accenting and improving over time, helps you stay within budget and create the yard you’ve dreamed of.